Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

seventy-two

Over the past few weeks, between going out of town, having multiple appointments in the city, and having company, I've managed to eat approximately 9,753 meals, drinks, and snacks at various restaurants.  Okay, probably not that many, but for the first time since my wedding, I found myself unable to remember the last meal that I actually cooked.  I could, however, tell you about the awesome Momofuku Ramen I ate in NYC or the insanely delicious pan fried noodles I devoured at Big Wong King in Chinatown or the prison-grade breakfast I kind of ate in Connecticut.

You'd think that with my love of cooking and my dislike of spending money and all, I'd dive headfirst back into cooking actual, not-so-sodium laden meals, and I did... until I volunteered to cook a steak dinner for my mother while she was in town and remembered how freaking hot it is outside!  Since then, I've been a lazy bum about cooking (except for desserts, naturally).  Don't get me wrong, I still get hot, homemade meals on the table and Mr. N enjoys/pretends to enjoy them, but I've been left kind of uninspired by the heat--that is, until my husband reminded me of the awesome leftover steak that we have rocking out in the fridge.  I pondered a use for cold steak and was reminded of a super delicious appetizer that Mr. N and I ate at The Long Room in New York City (using a Groupon, natch)...


Steak Crostini with Boursin Cheese

1 baguette (homemade or store bought), cut into 1/2" slices
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter

4 Vidalia onions, French cut
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1 package Boursin or other soft herbed cheese
1/2 lb rare steak, preferably cold, sliced

Preheat broiler.

Brush tops and bottoms of baguette slices with 2 tbsp of the olive oil.  Sprinkle one side slices with salt and pepper.

Toast slices under broiler until browned on one side.  Flip, salt and pepper the tops, then return to oven to toast until browned.  WATCH THESE CAREFULLY to avoid, er, fire.  Cool on a wire rack.

In a large pan, melt butter and remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add onions, stirring and cooking until slightly browned.  Reduce heat to low, add sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.  Cook onions, stirring often, until softened and caramelized, about 30 minutes.  Increase heat to medium-high and then deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar.  Remove from heat.

Spread crostini with Boursin.  Top with caramelized onions and steak.

NOTE: You may or may not have extra caramelized onions after making this recipe.  You also may or may not wish to mix them with softened cream cheese and use said cream cheese as a dip or on bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment