Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

eighty-two

Did you know that you can't buy Gordo's Cheese Dip anywhere in New Jersey or New York?  I found this out after much Googling (and possibly some praying/begging a higher being to give me what I want, darn it).  So, I figured I'd make my own with Queso Quesadilla, "Authentic Mexican cheese for melting"--or so the wrapper claimed.  I spent something like a half an hour working on the queso fundido, but only 20 minutes making the chicken filled fried tortillas (including the few minutes I spent nursing a giant oil burn on my hand).

I finally got everything plated... And then I forgot to stir the cheese one last time before topping the tortillas with it, so Mr. N got all of the creamy awesomeness and I ended up with something resembling cottage cheese.  (Should I go insane and decide try it again, I'll probably strain out the cheese solids or try to find some Asadero or something...)  Needless to say, I didn't take a picture.  I did promise to share the recipe, though, so I will with a word of warning: don't try to make your own queso fundido using this recipe.

Now that I've successfully made Pollo Fundido sound 100% horrible, here's the recipe!


Pollo Fundido

 
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup bell peppers, chopped
1 cup Mexican cheese*, shredded
8 flour tortillas, fajita sized
oil for frying
4 cups lettuce, shredded or thinly sliced
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup sour cream
1-16 oz. package Mexican white cheese dip**

Heat the oil over medium-high heat to the proper frying temperature (around 180*, or until the oil looks shimmery).  If the oil begins to smoke, reduce the heat.  If the oil doesn't look like it's "moving"/shimmering, increase the heat.  Or just use a thermometer or electric deep fryer.

Mix the chicken, peppers, and onions; heat through either on stove or in microwave.

Warm tortillas until pliable in oven or microwave.

Fill each tortilla with about 2/3 cup of the chicken and vegetable mixture.  Sprinkle with about 2 tbsp cheese and roll tightly, securing with toothpicks if necessary.  Allow to rest seam down as you repeat the process with the rest of the tortillas.

Using tongs, gently place two or three of the prepared taquito-type-things, seam down, into the frying oil.  Cook about 2 minutes, or until browned, and then roll the taquito-things so that the uncooked side is facing down.  Fry an additional 2 minutes or until browned.  Drain oil from inside the browned taquito-things before removing to a rack or paper towel-lined tray to cool.  Repeat the frying process with the remaining prepared tortillas.

Once all of the tortillas have been fried, warm the cheese dip according to package instructions.

To serve, place two fried, cooled taquito-things onto a plate.  Top with 1 cup lettuce, 1/4 of the tomatoes, and 2 tbsp of sour cream.  Spoon 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of the warmed cheese dip on top of the yummy Mexican mess and serve.

Serves 4

*Mozzarella is surprisingly similar to the semi-skimmed Mexican cheeses (like Queso Quesadilla and Queso Asadero), so you can use it in a pinch--or just to save a buck or two.
**You can make your own, but I really recommend you just buy the dip; it's easier and cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment