Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

one hundred and ninety-eight

I absolutely love Mexican food (as evidenced by my menu plans,) but I hate to admit that I am not a fan of "real" Mexican food.  Something about the lack of cheese (sorry, but my stomach does not recognize cotijo as cheese) combined with the corn tortillas and pickled onions never fails to leave me wanting for a drive through taco.  I suppose this means I'm not really a "foodie," but I know that I can't be alone in preferring nachos to menudo, right? 

It certainly feels as though I am when I try to eat at Mexican restaurants in New Jersey.  When Mr N and I lived in the South, we would go out for tacos or nachos (or pollo fundido!) once a month or so.  It was cheap and entirely unauthentic, but over the top delicious.  It makes my mouth water to think about the cheesy, crunchy mess of a meal to this day, but there is simply no where in the area(that isn't a chain) that sells the cheap "Mexican" food I crave. 

So, I make my own.  Sometimes it'll be your standard issue beef + taco seasoning + hard taco shells, other times it will be carnitas, but more often than not we end up having chicken soft tacos.  Not only is the recipe super easy, it is inexpensive, reheats well, and is sure to please anyone who even kind of likes homemade Mexican food.  It's so good, it may just become your go to recipe (in my oh so humble opinion.  Ahem.)


Mexican-Style Chicken


Sorry for the picture. You can't see the chicken in the pics of the tacos.




1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 packet (or 2.5 tablespoons) taco seasoning
1 cup chicken broth
1 can Ro-Tel Mexican cilantro and lime tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream

Add the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and chicken broth to a large saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and shreds easily when pierced with a fork.  

Shred the cooked chicken in the saucepan (alternatively, remove the chicken breasts, let cool and shred by hand before returning to the pan.)  Add the Ro-Tel, including the liquid, cover with lid, then continue simmering for an additional 20 minutes over low heat.

Remove the saucepan from the heat.  Stir in sour cream, then use a slotted spoon to drain before serving on flour tortillas with your favorite toppings (we like pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, sliced olives, queso blanco, and sometimes beans.)

No comments:

Post a Comment