Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

sixty-four

I'm back in town and therefore back to blogging.  The wedding was certainly nothing like ours, especially the 90 minute Catholic mass ceremony full of references to infidelity and Hell (neither of which happen to Catholics, apparently).  The hotel was so laughably bad that I'm planning on writing a post about it*.

On the plus side, we were able to go to an aquarium the day before and Mr. N made friends with a beluga whale!  Said whale was very friendly and would sit by the glass, watching the aquarium visitors.  Mr. N decided that he would "nom"/bite at the beluga only to have the whale open its mouth as wide as possible right back at him!  I got to pet a shark, which has allowed me to cross something off my bucket list**.  Woohoo!

I've named the whale "orly?"
Next item on the list?  Share a tasty recipe that costs less than $6 for the whole batch and can be made from pantry staples, even when you're still exhausted from traveling (and then coming home and traveling even more to go to a doctor's appointment).  Check!

*Preview: The desk clerk insulted my husband's appearance.  To his face.  Yeah.
**Truth: I only put "pet a shark" on my bucket list after I had already petted the shark.

Black Bean Soup

4-15.5 oz. cans black beans
1-16 oz. jar salsa (I <3 Newman's Own Tequila Lime flavor)
1-14.5 oz. can chicken broth
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Open all of the cans of beans and pour contents (including liquid) into a large pot.  Using a potato masher, slightly mash the beans.  Make sure not to over mash; you want the beans to be smoothER, but not completely smooth.  Stir in salsa, chicken broth, and spices.  Over medium heat, bring the soup to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer an additional 30 minutes.  

Just before serving, stir in cilantro.  

Top individual bowls of soup with cheese and/or sour cream, if desired.  For a heartier meal, serve with quesadillas.

Serves 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment