Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

forty-eight

I'm the sort of person that has lots of "favorites", especially food-related favorites.  It seems that every month, I develop a new food obsession, be it bread, Thai noodles, salads or cakes.  By the time I've made every recipe imaginable for my then-favorite food, I've moved onto something else.  I'm sure this sounds fun (and, I won't lie, it kind of is) but it seems that by the time I've perfected my go-to recipe for that specific dish, I never want to see it again. 

Without fail, time passes--as it is wont to do.  Those foods that I spent so much time preparing wander back into my head and, next thing I know, I'm ready to start the process all over again.  Lately, I've been super into ice cream; I've made Cereal Milk, key lime pie, s'mores, and, the recipe I'm sharing with you today, orange cream.  Has all of this experimentation been fun?  Of course!  But now I'm thinking that it's time to move on to greener pastures (You know, to make sure my husband doesn't get bored.  Ahem). 

I'm making scallion pancakes to go with dinner; maybe those could be my new favorite food to make?  Though, I really should make ice cream one last time before I call it quits.  You know, just to make sure I've got this whole "summer dessert" thing figured out.


Nomnom whipped cream

Orange-Cream Ice Cream

   2 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/16-1/8 teaspoon orange oil
2 cups whole millk
1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
1 ½ oz cream cheese (3 tbsp), softened
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
1 ¼ cups + 2 tbsp heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup

In a medium saucepan, bring the orange juice to a simmer over medium-low heat.  Allow to simmer 45 minutes to an hour, until reduced by about two-thirds (you should have a little over 3/4 cup of juice).  Stir in vanilla extract and orange oil.
Mix 2 tbsp of the milk with cornstarch to make a slurry.  Whisk the cream cheese and salt in medium bowl until smooth.  Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
Combine remaining milk, cream, sugar and corn syrup in a 4 qt. saucepan, bring to boil over medium-high heat and boil 4 minutes.  Remove from heat, whisk in the cornstarch slurry.  Return to a boil over medium-high and cook, while stirring, until thickened (about 1 minute).  Whisk reduced orange juice mixture into hot milk, then whisk hot milk mixture into cream cheese until smooth.  Pour into 1 gallon freezer bag and submerge in ice bath.  Let stand until cold (about 30 minutes), then churn following your manufacturer's instructions.
 
Allow ice cream to firm up in the freezer for anywhere from one to six hours, depending on how patient you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment