Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

fifty-eight

I know, I know, I didn't write a make-up post today, but at least I have a regularly scheduled post!  That has to count for something, right?  If it doesn't, I'll blame my lack of the promised post on the fact that I'm a newlywed--or on the hurricane that's supposed to be blowing right over New Jersey this evening.  Your choice of excuses!  How's that for service?

As I've gotten older and have become a better cook, I have been faced with a frustratingly depressing reality in which restaurant food ceases to be worth the exorbitant prices listed on the menu.  And since both my husband and I have been students for a majority of our adult lives, we've always viewed going out to eat as a Special Treat that we have to save up for and/or use a coupon to be able to comfortably afford (and thus enjoy).  Obviously, these two facts don't really go hand in hand, so I've found a way to make them work together: copycat recipes.  Nine times out of ten, when I go to a restaurant I come out able to recreate both my and Mr. N's entrees and the appetizers, and, nine times out of ten, I come home and test my skillz.  The recipe I'm sharing today is one I've enjoyed for years now, but is also one I've felt guilty about spending around $10 on for equally as many years: Panera Bread's "Sierra Turkey" sandwich

Homemade Sierra Turkey Sandwich


This sandwich is impossible to photograph.  Tastes great, though!

  •  1 loaf parmesan-black pepper focaccia
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced into very thin rings
  • 3/4 pound roasted deli turkey
  • 4 cups spring mix
  • 4 slices Swiss cheese (optional)

  1. Thoroughly mix mayonnaise and chipotle powder.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or until ready to assemble the sandwich.
  2. Cut the focaccia in half horizontally (as you would when frosting a layer cake), then slice into quarters.  Spread each side of bread with as much of the chipotle mayonnaise as you like.  Top the mayonnaise with the thinly sliced red onions.  
  3. Place four slices of turkey on each of the bottom quarters of the focaccia, then top with arugula, Swiss cheese (optional), another two slices of turkey, and the top halves of the bread.
  4. Eat.  Enjoy.  Don't waste money at Panera again.

Serves 2 - 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment